If you are looking for a homemade veggie burger recipe, this recipe is full of flavor! What is great about it too, the base of the burger is sweet potato, rice, beans, and pecans can then be spiced up to your preference. Instead of the cumin you could use onion powder and garlic powder, or even try an Indian-style veggies burger with curry powder!
The only trick to making the burgers is to press the mixture firmly together when forming them into patties, as the mixture will be a little sticky. Then during cooking, when you go to flip them half-way through, press them gently with a metal spatula before flipping and it helps them stay together.
As a side note, the homemade pickled onions are a great addition as well and are quick and easy to make!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed
1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinshed
1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
1/2 cup ground pecans
1/2 cup scallions, diced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprkia
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Add the black beans to a large mixing bowl and mash. Then add remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Use 1/3 cup of the burger mixture to hand form patties. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, flipping carefully half way through.
Serving suggestion: Serve on mini rolls topped with sliced tomato and pickled red onions (As pictured above)! Other topping ideas: sliced avocado, lettuce, fried egg, cheese, Dijon mustard, etc.
Nutrition Facts (per burger): 125 calories, 5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 5 milligrams cholesterol, 180 milligrams sodium, 16 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar, 4 grams protein
Homemade Pickled Red Onions
1 red onion, sliced
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. In a small sauce pan combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine and bring the mixture to a boil.
2. Place the sliced onion in a glass container and top with the boiling mixture. Cover and refrigerate. Let the onions marinade for at least 20 - 30 minutes.