During my travels for work in Ottawa, there is a favorite restaurant of mine (Pure Kitchen) that serves Korean BBQ Cauliflower that is so delicious! I have been trying to replicate that dish at home and I finally have gotten pretty close. If you try this recipe, I hope you love it as much as I do and would love to hear from you.
The Korean BBQ Sauce recipe calls for Gochujang which is a savory, sweet, and spicy fermented condiment made from chili powder, glutinous rice, meju (fermented soybean) powder, yeotgireum (barley malt powder), and salt. You can typically find this in the Asian food aisle at the grocery store. If you can't find it, you could use red chili paste instead!
Korean BBQ Cauliflower
2 small heads of cauliflower, chopped into florets (about 8 cups)
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 medium scallions, sliced
1 cup Korean BBQ Sauce (See below)
Korean BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
1/3 cup lite soy sauce or gluten-free
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon Gochujang or chili paste
1 tablespoon corn starch - blended with 2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place the cauliflower florets on a baking tray and spray lightly with olive oil. Roast the cauliflower florets for 20 - 25 minutes, until tender and lightly browned.
3. In a small sauce pan, whisk together all of the Korean BBQ Sauce ingredients - except the corn starch. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes more.
4. Stir 1 teaspoon of the corn starch and water mixture into the sauce and stir, allowing the sauce to thicken. Note: use more of the corn starch and water mixture if needed.
5. Heat a skillet and add the roasted cauliflower and about 3/4 of the prepare Korean BBQ Sauce. Stir to coat the cauliflower generously with the sauce.
6. Transfer the cauliflower and drizzle with remaining sauce. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 90 calories, 2 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 470 millgirams sodium, 17 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 13 grams sugar, 4 grams protein