I absolutely love, love, love panzanella salad! Classically panzanella is a salad of bread and tomatoes although, I like to switch it up and use a base of all different vegetables, like pictured here: cucumbers, red bell peppers, sweet onions. This recipe goes great with Italian meals or even as a stand alone salad. You can serve it topped with grilled marinated chicken or tofu too!
1/2 sweet onion
5 mini cucumbers
1 red bell pepper
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1 tablespoon agave nectar
sea salt and black pepper
4 slices of bread or rolls, cut into bite-size cubes
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 ounce fresh Parmesan cheese, cut into thin slices
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Prepare vegetables by chopping into bite-size pieces and place on baking sheet.
3. Whisk together in a small bowl: vinegar, olive oil, mayonnaise, honey mustard, and agave nectar. Then season with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and drizzle the rest of the dressing over the chopped vegetables. Roast the vegetables for 20 - 25 minutes or until they are tender.
5. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the reserved vinaigrette and then add the cubed bread. Stir throughout cooking and continue to cook until the bread cubes are lightly browned. Then remove from the heat and toss with the Parmesan cheese.
6. After the vegetables are done add the prepared croutons and top with the Parmesan cheese slices.