A perfect treat for St. Patrick's day! These scones are so delicious and the dried tart cherries add a balance of sweetness and tartness. Plus the scones are made with whole grains, the base is made with a blend of whole wheat pastry flour and oats.
Tart Cherry Buttermilk Scones
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oats
6 tablespoons sugar
1 stick of butter
1 cup dried tart cherries
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
3. Then in a food processor add the dry ingredients and the butter. Pulse until the mixture is combined and the butter is all mixed in.
4. Transfer back to the mixing bowl and stir in the buttermilk and cherries.
5. On a floured surface, place the scone mixture and knead (use more flour if needed to keep dough from sticking) to form into a large round circle about 1 - 1.5" thick. Then cut into 8 triangle slices.
6. Prepare a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Then transfer the triangles to the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.