Cranberry Oat Squares
Looking for a delicious, healthier dessert? Try these Cranberry Oat Squares! They are pretty easy to mix together and there are lots of ways you can switch them up - for example, try dried cherries or diced apricots instead of cranberries.
Ingredients - CRUST:
1 cup white wheat flour*
1 cup oats*
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons orange juice
Ingredients - FILLING:
1 1/3 cups dried cranberries (about 6 ounces)
3/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons white wheat flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
*Substitute almond flour and choose gluten-free oats to make these gluten-free
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare a 11" X 7"-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. To prepare crust, in a medium mixing bowl combine the white wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, and baking soda. Stir well to combine.
3. Add the butter and juice over flour mixture, stirring until moistened (mixture will be crumbly). Reserve 1/2 cup the oat mixture (to crumble on the top). Press remaining oat mixture into the bottom the prepared baking dish.
3. To prepare filling, in a medium bowl combine: dried cranberries, sour cream or Greek yogurt, granulated sugar, white wheat flour, vanilla, and egg white. Stir the mixture well.
4. Spread the cranberry mixture over prepared crust; sprinkle reserved oat mixture evenly over filling. Bake at 325°F for 40 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool completely in pan and slice into bars.
Option: Cherry-Oatmeal Bars: Substitute dried cherries for the dried cranberries.
Nutrition Facts (per bar): Calories 135, Total Fat 4.6 grams, Saturated Fat 2.5 grams, Sodium 68 milligrams, Cholesterol 10 milligrams, Carbohydrates 21 grams, Fiber 1.3 grams, Protein 1.7 grams