Black Bean & Quiona Enchilada Casserole
Super quick and delicious dinner recipe!
Skinny size it: Swapping out regular cheddar cheese for Cabot 50% light cheddar skims off total fat and saturated fat from this recipe, an excellent substitute.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and 2 cups water
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, seeds removed, diced
1 yellow pepper, seeds removed, diced
2 cups corn kernels
Juice of 1 small lime
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
2 cans (14.5 ounces) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups mild green enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (Cabot 50% light)
Optional: add cooked diced chicken or steak
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add quinoa to a sauce pan with the water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, until water is absorbed.
3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil in a skillet and add onion, garlic, red pepper, yellow pepper and corn. Saute for 7 - 10 minutes. Then add lime juice and cumin.
4. In a large bowl combine the quinoa, black beans, vegetable mixture and enchilada sauce.
5. Pour the mixture into a 9X13-inch baking dish. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil, bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
Additional topping options: Plain Greek yogurt, cubed avocado or scallions
Recipe adapted from www.twopeasandtheirpod.com